A look back at area high school football this week 10, 25 and 50 years ago

10 Years Ago This Week – 2003

This week in 2003, the St. Marys Roughriders squared off with the Cincinnati Wyoming Cowboys in football playoff action and unfortunately for Roughrider fans, were sent home with a 18-16 defeat.  

Wyoming got the scoring underway early in the first period to jump ahead 6-0, but Bo Frye answered with touchdown runs of 3 and 33 yards in the second quarter to push the Blue and Gold in charge, 14-6.  

Wyoming responded with another score just before halftime and yet another near the end of the third quarter to go up 18-14.

 St. Marys couldn’t cut into their deficit enough in the final quarter however, as the only score came on a safety from the defense to pull them to within two points.  

The opening-round playoff loss ended St. Marys’ campaign at 9-2 overall.

50 Years Ago This Week – 1963

This week in 1963, the St. Marys Roughriders logged another victory on the gridiron after coming from behind to knock down the Kenton Wildcats by a final of 20-12.  

The Wildcats opened scoring in the battle by driving 49 yards in only six plays after a St. Marys punt.  The Wildcats stayed in front through the second period before the Roughriders picked up their first touchdown of the game when Ronnie Jones punched it in from a couple of yards.  The two-point conversion was off the mark and the score remained knotted 6-6 through intermission.  

The only score of the third period belonged to Kenton after they enjoyed an 82-yard drive that was capped off with a touchdown pass.  

Trailing 12-6 heading into the final stanza, the Roughriders made sure they owned the period and scored twice.  

The first touchdown came from Joe Martin who found pay dirt with a five-yard run.  The extra point was no good and things stayed tangled at 12, but that all changed a few minutes later when Jones sprinted into the end zone for the go-ahead touchdown.  He also carried in the two-point conversion to bump his team in front by eight at 20-12, the score by which St. Marys would go on to win.    

25 Years Ago This Week – 1988

This week in 1988, the New Bremen Cardinals clinched a share of their first-ever Midwest Athletic Conference title with a 28-12 triumph over the Marion Local Flyers in Maria Stein.  

The Flyers took command midway through the opening period and extended their advantage a little later on to 12-0 after a Chad Williams pass was intercepted and returned 69 yards to the house.

 Unfazed, the Cardinals responded with a touchdown a couple of minutes before halftime when Bruce Bornhorst cut his teams’ deficit in half with a three-yard scoring burst.  The PAT was unsuccessful though, and Marion Local held on to the six-point lead.  

Down by six heading into the third quarter, the Cardinals completely owned the second half.  Williams hit Doug Schaefer with an eight-yard strike to start the third, and following a two-point conversion run from Steve Quellhost, the Cardinals grabbed the 14-12 lead.  

They weren’t finished scoring though and found the end zone twice more in the final quarter starting with a two-yard jaunt from Bornhorst and later on a one-yard dive from Quellhorst.  Williams nailed both PATs to secure the historic, 16-point win for New Bremen.

In the victory, Quellhorst became the first 1,000-yard rusher in Cardinal history after finishing with 120 yards on 28 carries.  The win pushed New Bremen to 9-0 on the season and 5-0 in MAC play.