Hey, I Remember That!: A look back at area sports 10, 25 and 50 years ago


50 Years Ago This Week – 1962

This week in 1962, the St. Marys Roughriders concluded their high school football campaign with a 28-20 loss to the Wapakoneta Redskins.  

In the early-going, it looked as if the Riders would have little trouble as they received the opening kickoff and scored in only seven plays when Ronnie Jones bulled in from one yard away.  

The Roughriders stayed in command until the second quarter when the Redskins crossed the goal line and scored the two-point conversion to move in front 8-6.  They tacked on another touchdown on their opening drive, while their second conversion run was also successful, and they extended their lead to 16-6.  

Wapakoneta seemingly put things out of reach early in the fourth period with a 24-yard touchdown pass.  With less than a quarter to play, the Roughriders found themselves trailing 22-6.  

On the ensuing drive, St. Marys covered 66 yards before Mike Garret picked up a one-yard touchdown to pull his team to within ten points.  Tom Hollman added the conversion, and the Riders were down by eight.  

With just over six minutes to play, St. Marys executed a perfect onside kick which was recovered by Terry Young near midfield.  Young pushed across the goal line within a couple of minutes and his team was down two points, but unfortunately the two-point conversion pass fell incomplete.  

With less than two minutes remaining, the Redskins wrapped up the eight-point victory with their final touchdown and conversion to record just their second win of the 1962 campaign, while St. Marys ended things at 4-6 overall.  

 25 Years Ago This Week – 1987

Twenty-five years ago this week the Minster Wildcats hosted their rivals to the north, as the New Bremen Cardinals invaded Memorial Stadium for the final game of the regular season.  

The Wildcats jumped in front early when quarterback Bryan Niemeyer scored from a yard out, while his extra point kick put the home team in charge, 7-0.  Six plays later, the Cardinals answered when receiver Cory Schroer caught an 18-yard touchdown pass from Jeff Paul, and following Schroer’s successful extra point, the contest was knotted at seven.  

On the ensuing drive, the Wildcats regained the lead when Niemeyer delivered a pass to James Wolf, who sprinted 66 yards for the go-ahead score.  The Wildcats left little doubt as to the outcome when they scored the only two touchdowns of the second quarter – a 20-yard run from Niemeyer and a 15-yard run by Wolf.  

Trailing 28-7 after the half, the Cardinals took one last gasp in the third quarter when a pair of one-yard touchdown plunges by Bruce Bornhorst pulled them to within six points at 28-22.  

Another touchdown run by Wolf in the final quarter, along with a two-point conversion pass by Niemeyer, though sealed the 36-22 victory for the Orange and Black.  With the win, the Wildcats finished 5-1 in the Midwest Athletic Conference and tied the Coldwater Cavaliers for the 1987 MAC championship.  

10 Years Ago This Week – 2002

This week in 2002, the St. Marys Roughriders witnessed their football season come to an end with a 15-7 loss to the Urbana Hillclimbers in Division II regional semi-final football action.  

Justin Nagel put the Roughriders on the scoreboard initially with a 60-yard touchdown run midway through the fourth quarter.  The seven-point advantage lasted through much of the second quarter until Urbana punched one in with a 16-yard pass only two minutes before the halftime break.  They were also successful on the two-point conversion, and the ‘Riders trailed 8-7 as the third quarter came and went without any scoring.  

The Hillclimbers iced the game halfway through the last quarter with another touchdown pass, and the Roughriders eventually fell by the eight-point margin and finish the season 8-4 overall.