“Leader Look Back” is a collection of stories and headlines from 75, 50 and 25 years ago this week. This week’s edition examines stories from March 26 to April 1 1938, 1963 and 1988.
75 years ago: St. Marys City Councilors approved a resolution asking the county commissioners to sponsor a blanket WPA project for the construction of sidewalks and curbing in the city. The project was sought to clear up four years of red tape.
Oscar A. Dammeyer and E.F. Erharat, of New Bremen, secured a patent on the Hylo Gyro Automatic Swing, which was on display at 311 N. Main St., New Bremen. The swing exercised the entire body.
The first loads of steel for the High Street bridge over the St. Marys River arrived in the city. Three large girders were expected to arrive at a later date.
Water blowing across the east bank of Lake St. Marys prevented traffic from traveling along East Bank Road. Spray from the lake could be seen above the road as white caps dominated the lake.
50 years ago: The St. Marys Area Chamber of Commerce reviewed the results of a community survey.
A section of the Suchland Greenhouse roof collapsed in New Bremen. Support pipes for the roof sagged, resulting in a collapse of the glass roof.
Members of the Minster Board of Education took out an option on 27.5 acres of land north of the village for a new school site at a cost of $37,000.
More than $2,600 was collected as part of the March campaign for the West Auglaize County Chapter of the American Red Cross.
25 years ago: St. Marys City Councilors approved a resolution sanctioning a design a city flag contest.
Auglaize County health officials contradicted an AP wire story that indicated there was a local case of AIDS.
A 32,000 square foot shopping center was proposed for the area directly west of Kmart on Celina Road. The proposed building included up to 15 businesses.