Kenneth R. Elshoff, 79, passed away on Thursday, Nov. 24, 2011.
He was born on April 1, 1932, in New Knoxville, to Floranz and Esther Elshoff, and they preceded him in death.
He is survived by his devoted wife of 56 years, Lea; two sons, David (Heidi) and Steven (Anne); three grandchildren, Kenneth, Erich and Paige; two stepgrandchildren, Shannon and Daniel; two brothers, Eldred (Cal) of LaCanada, Calif., and Mack of New Knoxville.
He served in Korea from 1953-54, rising to the rank of staff sergeant.
He earned a bachelor of science degree in business administration from The Ohio State University and in 1997 received an honorary doctor degree of business administration from Ohio Northern University, where he served as a trustee for 28 years.
While with Ernst & Ernst, he became a certified public accountant. He served as president and board chair of Railroad Savings and Loan and as president of the Ohio League of Financial Institutions. A member of Young Presidents Organization, he had served on the Boards of Trustees of the Federal Home Loan Bank of Cincinnati, General Ohio S&L Corporation, Camco Financial, Advantage Bank, COSI, Friendship Village of Dublin and was a 12-year participant in the volunteer guardian program of Franklin County.
Above all, he was a true gentleman, kind to everyone, a wonderful father and the most loving and caring husband anyone could ever have.
He was an active member of Linworth United Methodist Church, Rotary Club of Columbus, Charity Newsies and the Golf Club.
A memorial service and celebration of Ken’s life will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday at Linworth United Methodist Church in Columbus. Interment will be in its columbarium garden.
Friends may call from 1:30 p.m. until the time of services Sunday at the church.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to The Kenneth R. & Lea A. Elshoff Scholarship Fund at Ohio Northern University, Ada, Ohio, 45810 or to Linworth United Methodist Church, 7070 Bent Tree Blvd., Columbus, Ohio, 43235.
Condolences may be made at Schoedinger.com. Arrangements were made by Schoedinger Worthington Chapel.