“Leader Look Back” is a collection of stories and headlines from 75, 50 and 25 years ago this week. This week’s edition examines stories from Aug. 14-20, 1937, 1962 and 1987.
75 years ago: New speed limits were implemented around the city. New 25 mph limits were implemented outside of businesses and in closely built sections of town. The new 25 mph limit also was in effect around schools and during periods when students were walking to and from school.
Five more grain theft suspects were taken into custody in Auglaize County related to a theft at Andrew Makley’s farm. Approximately 40 bushels of wheat were taken from his farm north of the city.
Anna received $67,500 as part of the PWA to rebuild a school house that was destroyed by an earthquake in March. The money represented 45 percent of the construction cost.
A House appropriations committee asked for an increase of $80,000 for the St. Marys post office.
50 years ago: The rerouting of U.S. 33 over Main Street from Spring Street north to Indiana Avenue was suggested by the Ohio Department of Highways, according to a study. The department noted traffic should be removed from Front Street because turning vehicles often interfered with the free flow of local shopping traffic and Front Street was too narrow.
St. Marys City Councilors received a petition requesting public restrooms at the Memorial athletic field. Councilors earlier tabled a request because of the estimated cost — which was $2,600.
New Bremen Village Councilors approved an emergency ordinance that granted pay raises to village employees. Councilors also approved a measure to ban trucks of more than 2 tons from driving on North Main Street, from Pearl Street north to New Knoxville Avenue.
Eva Raudabaugh, of Celina, celebrated her 100th birthday. Raudabaugh, who lived at St. Marys Nursing Home, was born in Mercer County and was married to Ed Raudabaugh.
25 years ago: Auglaize County Fair Secretary Jim Dearbaugh said he believed the 1987 version exceed the 1986 fair. Total betting reached $72,091 for the weeklong fair.
Ohio Gov. Richard Celeste inked a measure that resulted in a $15 to $20 million modernization of Huffy Corporation’s plant in Celina. The Celina plant was Huffy’s largest facility, which produced more than 15,000 bikes a day.
A restored replica of 1917 Goodyear truck was on display during SummerFest. In its heyday, the truck moved 10 mph on solid rubber tires.
The Rider Rooters funded a lockerroom expansion at Memorial High School — a project that was done in conjunction with a new gym that was being built. The project, which had a price tag of $70,000, was expected to be ready by the fall of 1988.
Members of the St. Marys Junior Rifle Club brought home two state titles from the Ohio State Junior Outdoor Rifle Championships. Bill Hollenbacher, Molli Grunden, Greg Finke and Travis Kuenning won the prone team title and Kuenning won the overall individual state championship.