FOOTBALL UPDATE: St. Marys-Elida, New Bremen-Minster to resume Saturday

ELIDA — Elida sophomore quarterback Clark Etzler threw three touchdown passes to Brandon Stinson and the Bulldogs took a 20-3 lead over St. Marys before lightning postponed the game until Saturday.

The game will resume with 1:21 left in the second quarter on Saturday. Elida had just scored on an Etzler to Stinson 13-yard touchdown pass and missed the extra point kick when lightning struck.

Etzler carved up the St. Marys defense, going 8 of 9 for 106 yards and the three scores. Stinson has four catches for 81 yards and three touchdowns in the first half of play.

Etzler connected with Stinson with a 13-yard strike to take a 7-3 lead with 3:59 left in the first quarter two plays after a  kickoff return of 68 yards by Nick Pauff set up the short field.

Elida made it 14-3 with a 48-yard connection from Etzler to Stinson with 35 seconds left in the first quarter.

St. Marys started the game off with a clock-consuming, 13-play, 51-yard drive that ended with a 37-yard field goal by left-footed sophomore Claytonn Trogdlon.  It was St. Marys’ first made field goal since Sept. 18, 2009, when Dan Roberts and Allan Broyles each booted kicks in a 33-6 win over Celina.

St. Marys’ opening drive took up the game’s first 7:03.

St. Marys quarterback Dustin Fisher extended that drive with a key fourth-down conversion on an 11-yard pass to Trent Wale on fourth and seven.  Fisher completed his first three passes of the game and was 4 of 7 through the air for 19 yards before the postponement. Fisher led the way on the ground, as well with seven carries for 23 yards. Fisher busted open a 21-yard run on a misdirection quarterback keeper on the opening drive.

Trent Wale rushed the ball six times for 21 yards. Patrick Obringer had four carries for 14 yards.

Elida committed five first-half penalties, including three personal fouls.

Elida running back Desmend White carried the ball four times for 55 yards to lead the Bulldogs on the ground..

Minster-New Bremen

MINSTER – The Minster Wildcats scored three touchdowns in the first quarter before lightning halted play. Korey Schultz scored the first touchdown on a seven-play, 79 yard drive. He scored on a six-yard run up the middle. Devon Poeppelman kicked the extra point with 9:56 left.

The game will resume at 5 p.m. on Saturday.

After forcing a punt, Minster started at their 37 with 7:38 left and the Wildcats went on an 11-play, 63-yard drive with Adam Niemeyer scoring on a six-yard run up the middle. Poeppelman kicked the extra point with 3:59 left.

Following another punt, Minster took over at their 34 with 1:35 left and went on a four play, 66-yard drive with Schultz scoring on a 54-yard run with 33 seconds left. The extra point kick by Poeppelman made the score 21-0.

New Bremen punted again with 10:50 left in the second quarter and Minster went three plays out to their 46 when the lightning started with 9:45 left in the first half.


WAPAKONETA —  The Wapakoneta Redskin’s home opener against the Bath Wildcats was postponed due to lighting, but not before two electrifying offenses put up 42 points combined.

With Wapakoneta leading, 28-14, in the second quarter with 7:52 on the clock, the game was delayed, then called due to severe weather in the area.

The rest of the game will be played at Harmon Field Saturday at 5 p.m.

On the first play from scrimmage,  senior quarterback Doug Sanders took a designed QB run 75 yards far a touchdown. Sanders came of the edge, broke some tackles along the way and gave Bath a 7-0 lead before anyone had time to blink.

Sanders then hit on a  62 yard touchdown pass.. Early in the first quarter, Bath led, 14-0.

Wapak responded with a Kyle Gibson to Brandon Christler 69-yard touchdown pass, a Zach Schmerge rushing score, a 92-yard touchdown drive capped by another Schmerge touchdown and a Gibson 30-yard touchdown run.


The Coldwater at Versailles game was suspended with 6:31 left in the second period. Coldwater led 7-0.
Coldwater scored on a 45-yard pass from Austin Bruns to Josh Huber early in the second quarter.
The game will resume at 3:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon.