- Special Sections
ST. MARYS — Fire crews spent more than two hours battling a fire at the intersection of Columbia and Vine streets Tuesday night.
At 5:50 p.m., the St. Marys Fire Department received a 911 call reporting a garage fire at 626 Columbia St. When crews arrived, they found a fully engulfed fire inside the detached garage.
“We did an aggressive knock down,” St. Marys Fire Chief Joey Weaver told The Evening Leader. “We used our deck gun on our engine to do a quick knock down and then used our hand lines. Then we set up our aerial into position to hit the second floor to extinguish some hot spots.”
The deck gun is typically used on large fires. Weaver noted crews also use the tool to buy firefighters time while setting up hand lines.
“It does take us time to set up our hoses,” Weaver said.
No one was injured in the fire. Weaver said the cause is believed to be an unattended propane grill.
“It sounds to me like the occupant lit a grill and went into the house and when he came back, the garage was on fire,” Weaver said.
The propane tank posed some concerns for firefighters when they arrived on the scene.
“We had some concern about it and that’s one reason why we held back and used the gun first,” Weaver said. “It bought us some time to knock it down and to make it a safe environment.”
Weaver estimated the damage at $20,000.