Skip to main content

CO Detected In Home

January 20, 2012

ST. MARYS — A carbon monoxide detector may have saved a few lives on Wednesday.

St. Marys Fire Chief Joey Weaver told The Evening Leader a call came into the fire department at 8:14 p.m. Wednesday advising of a possible carbon monoxide leak at 1298 Neil Ave. Weaver said when firefighters arrived, they detected elevated levels of the odorless gas.

"The occupant called us to check it out," Weaver said. "They were complaining for some headaches and wanted us to check the residence for CO."

Crews found levels more than 10 parts per million. Anything less than that is considered normal, Weaver said.

"It was a relatively high amount," Weaver said.

Firefighters traced the source to the furnace. Crews ventilated the home and advised the occupants to relocate for the evening. Weaver credited the carbon monoxide detectors for averting a potentially fatal situation.

"Any time you have a CO producing appliance — a gas water heater, furnace or stove — you should have a CO detector," Weaver said. "If the levels get too elevated, you may not survive.”

Weaver said firefighters typically conduct 20 to 30 carbon monoxide checks a year.

ST. MARYS —  The St. Marys boys basketball team attacked the rim in the opening...
WBL Wapakoneta 74, Kenton 48 St. Marys 77, Shawnee 62 Celina 59, Bath 46 Defiance 37, Elida...
Friday, December 19 WBL Kenton at Wapakoneta Shawnee at St. Marys Celina at Bath Defiance at...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes