Skip to main content

CO Detected In Home

January 20, 2012

ST. MARYS — A carbon monoxide detector may have saved a few lives on Wednesday.

St. Marys Fire Chief Joey Weaver told The Evening Leader a call came into the fire department at 8:14 p.m. Wednesday advising of a possible carbon monoxide leak at 1298 Neil Ave. Weaver said when firefighters arrived, they detected elevated levels of the odorless gas.

"The occupant called us to check it out," Weaver said. "They were complaining for some headaches and wanted us to check the residence for CO."

Crews found levels more than 10 parts per million. Anything less than that is considered normal, Weaver said.

"It was a relatively high amount," Weaver said.

Firefighters traced the source to the furnace. Crews ventilated the home and advised the occupants to relocate for the evening. Weaver credited the carbon monoxide detectors for averting a potentially fatal situation.

"Any time you have a CO producing appliance — a gas water heater, furnace or stove — you should have a CO detector," Weaver said. "If the levels get too elevated, you may not survive.”

Weaver said firefighters typically conduct 20 to 30 carbon monoxide checks a year.

Minster 62, Anna 56: Gabe Goodwin led Minster with 14 points. Peter Falk had 13 points and...
Anna 62, Middletown Madison Senior 28 Ansonia 49, Lewisburg Tri-County N. 36 Bluffton 71...
WBL Wapakoneta 63, New Bremen 53 St. Marys 55, Piqua 48 Lima Central Catholic 72, Bath...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes