Archive - News Article
July 27th, 2012
WAPAKONETA — Former elected officials and representatives from throughout Auglaize County are to lead a courthouse rededication ceremony this fall.
Scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 16, the ceremony is open to everyone and is to be followed by an open house throughout the afternoon. A rain date of Sunday, Sept. 23, also has been set.
ST. MARYS — After months on the downswing, unemployment rates across the region edged slightly higher in June.
In data released earlier this week by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, Auglaize County’s unemployment rate increased 0.3 percent to settle in at 5.8 percent for June. That figure put the county among the lowest in the state. Mercer County, which has the lowest unemployment in the state, saw an increase of 0.4 percent to 4.6 percent for the month. Last year, Auglaize County’s unemployment rate sat at 7.9 percent.
ST. MARYS — In six months, troopers from the Wapakoneta Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol have made more than 30 drug-related arrests in Auglaize County.
In data released earlier this week by the Ohio State Highway Patrol, troopers statewide have made 3,963 arrests during the first six months of 2012. Lt. Scott Carrico, of the Wapakoneta Post, said troopers have been focusing on the Interstate-75 corridor.
ST. MARYS — When he gave his daughter up for adoption, Matt Paul, a college student in Arizona at the time, knew it was what was best for her.
“I had no future yet,” he said. “I was still in college, I had a part-time job, and her mother was the same that I was.”
Having been raised by a loving adoptive family himself, Paul said his positive experience helped him come to the decision.
“I think if I would not have gone through it, I might not have thought about it, but I had a great childhood,” he said.
NEW BREMEN — The 91st annual New Bremen Firemen’s Picnic will return to Crown Pavilion on Saturday, with a lineup of activities that offers something for everyone.
“We’ve tried to structure the picnic and the day to provide something for all ages to come out and to enjoy what we’ve got to offer as far as activities,” Jeff Utz, of the New Bremen-German Township Fire Department, said. “We try to make it fun for everybody.”
CELINA — Citing low lake levels and boater safety concerns, the organizers of the Governor’s Cup Regatta decided to cancel the race scheduled for Aug. 25 and 26.
“It was an awful decision,” Regatta President Allen Baskett told The Evening Leader Monday morning. “We’ve been watching the situation during the last few weeks, hoping to have days like this that would really make a difference. We still had money to raise and we felt like we could do it but then we came up against this obstacle.”
NEW BREMEN — After a storm blew through the county late June, a local village is reviewing its response plan.
In his report, Mayor Jeff Pape noted he along with other village representatives discussed last month’s storm with county officials.
CELINA — Citing low lake levels and boater safety concerns, the organizers of the Governor's Cup Regatta decided to cancel this year's race.
"It was an awful decision," Regatta President Allen Baskett told The Evening Leader this morning. "We've been watching the situation during the last few weeks, hoping to have days like this that would really make a difference. We still had money to raise and we felt like we could do it but then we came up against this obstacle."
NEW BREMEN — After village council members recently moved a property to its Community Improvement Corporation, members of the CIC discussed the property during their meeting Monday evening.
First, during their meeting Monday evening, members of the New Bremen CIC heard from Keith Quellhorst with Que’s Barber Shop.
Quellhorst noted design plans for the look of the building he is currently operating inside — the former New Bremen Parks Department building.
ST. MARYS — The future of one of the staples of the city of St. Marys’ skyline remains in limbo.
During Monday night’s meeting, St. Marys City Councilors approved a recommendation by a 4-1 vote to move forward with the demolition of the former power plant’s smoke stack. John Bubp, the 1st Ward Councilor, voted against the measure and two city councilors — Dennis Vossler and Jim Harris — were absent.