Archive - Mar 9, 2012 - News Article
ST. MARYS — A local organization pairing mentors and children is hosting its annual fundraiser next week.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Mercer, Auglaize and Van Wert Counties is putting on its annual Bowl for Kids’ Sake event next week.
“It is the 16th at 7 p.m.,” Big Brothers Big Sisters of Mercer, Auglaize and Van Wert Counties Executive Director Abby Balster said. “Bowling begins at 7 p.m.”
NEW BREMEN — Flocks of flamingos have taken over the yards of area residents who are helping raise money for a local charity.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Mercer, Auglaize and Van Wert counties has teamed up with Preferred Insurance Center for a fundraiser that is sending pink flamingos to the yards of New Bremen and St. Marys residents.
CELINA — A Korean man was found guilty of causing an accident that claimed the life of a Minster girl in October.
During a change-of-plea hearing in Mercer County Common Pleas Court Friday afternoon, Jinghao Xu, 50, pleaded no contest to one count of vehicular homicide, a fourth-degree felony. The charge stems from an Oct. 15 collision at the intersection of Ohio 119 and U.S. 127 in Granville Township. Aubrey L. Bruns, 3, of Minster, died from injuries suffered in the collision.
ST. MARYS — A local tavern will hold a fundraiser this weekend to benefit the an Ohio charity.
The Friendly Tavern, located at 115 S. Main. St., St. Marys, will be selling chicken dinners and holding a doubles pool tournament on Saturday to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Miami Valley Region.
Friendly Tavern employee Sondra Thatcher said chicken dinners will cost $7 per dinner and will be served starting at 3 p.m. Saturday and will continue to sell until they are gone.
NEW BREMEN — A business displaced by a fire that swept through a downtown New Bremen building has relocated and will reopen next week.
Que’s Barber Shop, which was housed in the same building as Fireside Pub, will reopen March 15 at 201 N. Main St., New Bremen. The barbershop, along with the restaurant, sustained severe damage during a fire on Feb. 27 that saw flames shoot through the top of the building.